Friday, February 08, 2008

Open hearts


I made these artist trading cards for a swap in one of my Yahoo groups that I used to be active in back in 2006, and I recently began looking for swaps again. This time I'm determined to be more choosy, though. I'm hoping to stick to holiday-themes, because you know those little wire trees you can hang ornaments on? I have a couple that can be used year-round if I'm careful, and I just thought they would make cool displays for my ATC's. And if the cards were holiday-themed, instant ornaments.

Anyway, we will see how it goes. I'll be getting some pink cards, and some St. Patty's or Easter, as well as some Valentine atc's. It's an experiment and an excuse to do some atc's but not get obsessed with them again, frankly. I can always make my own on any I need more of...

I think today's sidebar quote, another one from Maya Angelou, is one of my all time favorites. And, that's what I've been attempting on this blog, particularly with my Dare-->Bare-->Care-->Share goal for 2008. It's unsettling for me to try to bare my thoughts, but it has its rewards.

I was so heartened to see all the comments and emails from yesterday's post. What diversity of opinion, and I respect you for them. I'm also blown away at how civil and supportive most of you are, even if we hold different beliefs. Thank you from my open heart, my friends, for respecting me, too.

Did I mention that I've tried 3 times now to get all my hair chopped off? It just never worked out, so today I cut it myself again, not as short as I wanted a stylist to cut it, but it will help until I finally hook up with an appointment that's halfway on time and I don't have to wait forever and a day.

I basically bent over, brushed all my hair to the top back of my skull, tied it with a scrunchie so that it would stay sticking up some, then stood up and wacked the ponytail off. I knew I would get a shaggy look, and it seems okay so far. I needed to get the weight of my hair off my hair. In other words, it was breaking and coming out a little too much for me. Thank God I'm on thyroid medication or I'd be bald by now, I do believe.

I have found myself not washing my hair more than once a week in order to not have to comb it out, and leaving it up and pulled back as much as possible. So, I was needing to wash my hair today and I just did not want to take another shower with hair loss.

I got my wish. After I cut it, I showered, and not one hair pulled out. So, the weight must have lessened.

Speaking of weight, I cannot believe that I've remained steady for over 3 months now. Probably wouldn't hurt to get back on the loss regimen. I'm more convinced than ever now that for me at least thyroid med helps against gaining weight, but you still have to try to lose it. Some are lucky as heck and their weight just melts. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, LOL.

10 comments:

Ryzmomplus2 said...

I love your ATC's! They came out adorable! Wow, I've never cut my own hair :) - brave woman you are!

Linda said...

Pretty atc's. I like the idea of displaying them on a tree.

Gina said...

Aimes, those ATC's are awesome! I haven't been part of an ATC swap for ages ... I'm too much of a procrastinator, and get all stressed out that I'm going to miss the deadline! Hope you receive some fabulous cards in your swaps.

Can't believe you cut your own hair! WTG, Girl! Glad it worked out for ya. I'd be too scared.

Love that quote - anything from Maya Angelou always makes so much sense. :)

toners said...

Beautiful ATCs - and what a great idea to have a year-round display of different holidays! If you're into stamping, there are always swaps opening up on www.splitcoaststampers.com :) Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous ATCs - so beautiful! I hear you on the hair and weight thing - are any of us ever happy with that? Take care!

Noelia said...

I so love your ATC's! I especially love themed ones :)

Lida said...

I love your ATC´s they are so vitagey and pretty, oh I want to see you with your new haircut

jillconyers said...

From another one that is thankful for thyroid medication! Isn't it amazing how many things in our body are related in one way or another to the thyroid.

Love the quote!

You're so brave to cut your own hair. I would never be able to do it.

I want to see pics...plz!

Maureen said...

Oooh. Love the ATCs... what a great idea to hang them on a wire tree for instant ornaments!!!!

Kim said...

Your ATC's are gorgeous! I've never made nor have I swapped any, but you're making me re-think that...

about the hair - yikes! You are brave, girl! I'm a little panicky about how much of mine falls out during what I call my "shedding cycles" but my hairdresser keeps telling me it's normal. ??