Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Marilyn and sad news...

I made this card for my bank president b-i-l's 50th coming up. He's the one currently fighting the relapse of melanoma, and also my favorite in-law. So, I wanted to make him a memorable card.

The inside sentiment: "We figured that if Obama can be the next JFK, so can you, Dude, so can you. Plus, you're already a President!"

I have had this image of Marilyn for a while and printed her on smooth tagboard cardstock, on my laser printer because I'm just lazy that way. But I love how she came out.

If he's in a good mood when he gets it, he'll laugh his ass off.

That might not be the case though. Today, my father-in-law, Hub's Dad, passed away. It was the strangest day all around. I woke up to the chaos of the phone ringing and waking up Hubs since he had worked a graveyard the night before and was scheduled to work an overtime one tonight, trying to tell him the news and getting him to understand this really was reality.

He rushed off to his Mom's, and as I had a ton of stuff to prepare for mailings that I had commited to, stayed behind to join them... at some later time. So, I didn't finish up until 4:30. Drove to the P.O. and then decided on the spur of the moment to meet up with Hubs. I'd missed my shower the night before and was in raggedy clothes and less than stellar hair, but I refused to let that stop me.

Anyway, I am really glad I went right then as opposed to later that evening. Hubs was missing me, and his mom just clung to me for the longest. Hub's youngest sis is the one married to the bank pres, and he had just been released from the hospital for a few days before beginning his next round of treatments, so she wasn't able to come. The teacher sister was able to leave work to come over, so there was enough family around, and she stayed there overnight just in case Hub's mom needed someone.

Tomorrow, teacher sis, Hubs and their mom go to the funeral home with clothes and whatever else was on the list. I feel kind of bad for Hub's brother that irritates me, though. Yesterday was his birthday, so he's like got this memory scarring it from now on. I'm not upset with him so much anymore.

It's very strange when a loved one passes on that you know is going to, you just don't know when. He'd just finished his radiation treatments, and his heart just decided to quit. He was taking a nap in his recliner when he went. My dad would say, you can't get much luckier than that. Plus, my comfort is that he avoided all that long-drawn-out disease suffering from his Parkinsons and the cancer.

So, we await in limbo while the day for his funeral is decided and family arrives from other states. Missy has a wedding she is a brides maid in this weekend and may have to juggle things around if the funeral's Saturday. But we'll get things worked out.

Oh, and Lynn, too funny, I cannot believe I forgot to answer the bad habits on that tag quiz, but I had left that for last and then forgot. Still not into figuring out 3 of them since I have so many. LOLOL Sitting here now, all I can think of is how this year, 2008, may end up being a hard year for me, full of challenges and life changes. I've had to deal with a lot already, plus my chronic illness and being separated from Missy. I try to plug away though and keep on truckin'. My sense of humor not only comforts me, but it also helps me comfort others, as I did today. Not perfect, far from it. But, real.

20 comments:

Kim Langston said...

My condolences for you and your family.

Linda said...

Aimeslee, I'm so sorry for your loss. Big hugs for you and your family.

I love the birthday card, very cool.

Lida said...

So sorry for your loss, sending you warm hugs.
Your card is lovely and very original I love it!

csimmers said...

Aimes, I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. You are all in my prayers!

Hugs to you!

Staci said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your attitude and optimism is inspiring.

Lynn said...

Aimes... I'm soooo sorry for the loss of your FIL. I'm sending prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.

As for the BIL that you don't get along with... it will be tough for him for sometime. I know from watching my mother go through the same thing when her mother (my grandmother)passed on my mothers b-day. Very difficult thing to absorb.

Your B-Day card simply ROCK'S! I just love the image of Marilyn. Just beautiful.

I hope things go smoothly for the next few days for you all.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your family's loss. Sending you warm and healing thoughts.

Noelia said...

Oh Aimes, I was so sorry to read the news about your FIL. My heart goes out to you and your family. It seems like not long ago you were blogging about his cancer and now this happens. My hubby is out of town visiting my MIL with the same situation. Girl, we'll need to hug our loved ones extra tight tonight.
I'll keep you in my prayers hon ((HUGS))

Colleen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and you and your husband and family are in my thoughts.

The card is wonderful though!

Maureen said...

First, let me also add my sincere condolences on your sad news...

Second. LOVE the card.

Take care,

Heather said...

So sorry to hear of your family's loss Aimes. My grandpa died peacefully in his recliner too. You're dad would be right. No better way to go. I hope all the arrangements go smoothly.

Love your card!

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimeslee,

I am sorry for your family's loss. He's at peace now, though, and watching over all of you. His wife will need some comfort, and I know you're strong enough, and a good caring woman. I wish you easier days ahead.

Love,

Barbara

Gina said...

Aimes, I am so heartsore for you and your husband and his family. You're absolutely right - what a peaceful way to go. Hope you all take some comfort in that.

Wishing you strength as you get through the difficult days ahead. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

grandmascraps said...

So sorry for your family's loss. Sending you warm hugs from NC.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss Aimeslee - {{{hugs}}}

Such a clever idea to use for a card too!

jillconyers said...

So sorry for your loss. Hope all is going as well as can be expected.

I was going to tell you that you've been tagged but as I was browsing the latest on your blog remembered that you have already done the tag. So never mind :)

Take care!

Sarah Coggins said...

((HUGS)) Oh, Aimeslee, I am so sorry to read this. :( My prayers for you, your DH and family.

cookievf said...

Aimes, So very sorry to hear about your father-in-law. (sending a long-distance H.U.G.)

You are ALL in my thoughts and prayers. - vicki xo

toners said...

Aimeslee, I am so, so sorry for your family's loss. Sending (((hugs)))

Kelley said...

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.