Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Boo-Day Tricks & Treats!

What Your Choice of Halloween Candy Says About You
~~Begin excerpt~~

The Washington Post has examined the all-important issue of what kind of Halloween candy you give out to trick-or-treaters says about you. Steve Almond, the author of Candyfreak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America), provided the in-depth psychological personality type treat analysis, based on....well, we're not exactly sure what he based it on. But we totally agree with his statement in his book:
"There's something incredibly liberating about a holiday that encourages children to take candy from strangers," Almond writes of Halloween in his book. Indeed. For some reason, Almond asked that we make clear that he is a "professional candyfreak, not a therapist."
Read on to find out what message you're sending to your neighbors:
Three Musketeers: Does well in groups but is somewhat pompous. Prone to fancy costumes and arcane weapons. Wears hats in public that are ill-advised.
Almond Joy: I'm going to put aside my aversion to coconut in praising these folks as happy-go-lucky.
Bit-O-Honey: They have contradictory personalities, hoping to express generosity but also having the passive-aggressive desire to damage the fillings of trick-or-treaters.
Butterfinger: Evasive, slippery, not necessarily to be trusted.
Candy Corn: Purely deluded people. They don't get that candy shouldn't attempt to imitate other food groups, particularly corn.
Good and Plenty: Optimistic, perhaps overly so. A little bit of Weimar energy. Strong advocate of gay rights; acquainted with the bitterness at the center of most lives.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups: Generous souls. Those who understand the salty in life, as well as the sweet.
Snickers: Just going with the crowd, the safe candy choice, guaranteed to please the masses. Not ambitious, but dependable.
You can see the full chart with more analysis of your inner psyche, completely horrifying calorie counts and then vote on your favorite treat to hand out here. A word of advice, though: whatever you do, don't give out Twizzlers. They'll peg you as one of the "Sickos. Truly demented. Plastic people living plastic lives."


~~End excerpt~~

My personal pick: Tootsie Roll Pops (she said, silently thankful they didn't analyze that one....).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~BOO!~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~The Ghosts of Halloween Past~~
Both the 2peas bloggers QOTD and the AARPeas QOTW are basically the same topic: memories of Halloween as a child / growing up / yadayada. Well, I'm going to remember back 19 years today, to our first Halloween as a family. Hubs and I got dressed up, too, because we gave a party that night for family and friends.

Here's little Missy in her very first costume: a pink puppy dog with her own matching pink puppy dog. Hubs was snapping the photos (look out), and he didn't think to give her the stuffed animal, so she's looking kind of forlorn. So we give her the toy and she's like, what the heck is this? Third shot: Mom to the rescue. This perks her up and she's all shines. Looks like she's reacting to me telling her a dirty joke or something. I think I said something like, aren't you the cutest thing...probably the same way the mom in the V-8 commercial tells her kid she's having a french fry, yes she is, before the kid bops her one. Whoa, was I lucky there...LOL

This photo is of Hubs. Pirates were hothothot for grown-ups back then, too. I think he wore that costume for about 5 or 6 Halloweens before finally getting tired of it. Personally, I think he just liked wearing the makeup, what do you think? LOL

Finally, we have me. (Please be kind.) My mom made the yellow clown suit, so I kinda had to wear it to please her. And both my mom and my dad were clowns, too, but they only stayed about 30 minutes at the party, after scarring Missy for life with fear (who ARE those people WAAAAAAA!)(I waited until after putting her down for the night to transform myself). Anyway, that wig got really uncomfortable as the night wore on, but how 'bout those cheeks, huh? LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~BOO!~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tomorrow I start a brand new challenge! You may have notice my new icon on the sidebar (top): Art Every Day Month. To find out about it, you can click on the link I show for signing up (you can just read what it's all about there, too).

I love Leah's quiet determination, dedication, and talent. I've seen her go for ages creating one thing every day without fail, and that amazes me. Anyway, it's really low pressure/stress and I can even count cooking if I need to. (ok, I was going to say a poop, but that would have been too gross, right? LMAO)

So, I thought it would be worth it to help me rev up for holiday gift-making. And tomorrow is Day One, so go out and scare people, eat candy, make yourself sick, and I'll see ya tomorrow!

10 comments:

Marie Starr said...

Oh, Aimslee! These are great photos!! Wonderful costumes...your mom did a fabulous job!

Anonymous said...

that's cute - the halloween candy bar meanings :) fun pictures too!

Sarah Coggins said...

Hi, Aimeslee! Missing ya over at the dw thread. Hope you have a Happy Halloween!! :)

Linda said...

The candy bar list was interesting. Cute photos too. Have a Happy Halloween.

Heather said...

I love your Halloween photos! Missy is so cute! Can you believe she's a college girl now!? Maybe I need to take more pictures of my little man! Personally I give out suckers because I won't eat those before Halloween!

Noelia said...

Ohh Missy is too darn cute! I remember my dd's first Halloween and I wish I had more pictures of her! Your hubs is cool in his pirate attire hehe...I dressed up as a pirate once as a kid too and I didn't even wear that much make up! LOL!

Can't wait to see your challenge. I think I'm at a place where I can commit to doing these, so I'm up for it!

Noelia said...

I forgot...I'm a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Love those evil little things hehe

Sarah Coggins said...

Aimeslee, thanks for checking out my new spot on the web. :) Will tell the girls you said hello - btw, you are welcome to drop in and share a LO anytime. You do not have to praise everything. I got behind last month and missed a LOT. But, so it goes.

Definitely will be checking out your gallery - I've always enjoyed your pages and miss seeing them on a regular basis. Also, added a link on my blog to yours so I can check in to see what you're up to. ;)

Anonymous said...

LOVE (!) the costume!!! How fun that you dressed up for Halloween! Well, you obviously know the type of candy I give out. I have to buy them special from Crackle Barrel but I give them out every year - Bit o Honey!!! LOL!!!

I will join you on your challenge for Art of the Day for November - Great Idea!

Unknown said...

Great costume and I love twizzlers so I am a sicko. LOL

Dana