Friday, January 14, 2011

A pox on both houses



No, you don't have to change your astrology sign...here is a great explanation why. I'm still a Pisces, Phew!
***
On the First Lady's open letter to parents...Mrs. Obama, since you brought up tolerance, I expect you and those you influence to demonstrate this by being more tolerant towards Sarah Palin. Oh-oh, better have a talk with your bud James Clyburn, aka The Race Baiter. He just made a no-no comment. Not that I'm surprised.
***
Not that I'm entirely happy with Sarah's video remarks. Yes, she has been horridly maligned. Being wrongfully accused of accessory to murder does demand a rebuttal and defense. She was 100% within her rights to reply.
***
I just think that her timing was off...late...I suspect there might have been a lot of debating within her ranks whether to rebut and what to say. She must have read Glenn Reynold's reference to "blood libel" in his Wall Street Journal piece on Monday (see, she reads WSJ, take that, Couric! winkwink). What he can reference about Sarah, apparently she can't?
***
Reynold's piece is quite good and I think we all should read it, because it reminds us that this current blame game against anyone on the Right (ie, anyone not on the Left, and that's where they include me, as I am in the middle) is just the latest in a long string of accusations that ended up being wrong wrong wrong.
***
Remember the guy who flew the plane into an Austin IRS building? Remember the Army psychiatrist who shot up Fort Hood? Remember the Times Square bomber? All were accused at the get-go of being Tea Partiers. Now Jared Loughner receives the same fate.
***
You'd think this would embarrass our public voiceboxes after awhile but it doesn't and I think it is time to call this what it is: a political tactic. A sad one, especially used repeatedly without conscience and without intelligence (take that, Clyburn! Me thinks you cannot handle it intellilectually, plus you are pretty butt-ugly if you ask me. Just sayin').
***
Let us remember that Loughner did not vote in 2010. He did vote in 2006 and 2008. Now, if you were an angry Tea Partier, would that be your voting track record? Since the Tea Party did not even form until 2009, I think not!
***
My real and sincere kudos go to President Obama for his speech Wednesday evening at that pep rally at the U of Arizona. Yes, he had to have known it was going to be a receptive audience to whatever he said, being that it was a liberal venue filled mostly with his supporters. But compared to his track record of uber-partisan speech audiences, how is that shocking? I was very happy that his speech did not further inflame the situation. And more importantly, in his own way, he did speak to his supporters and told them enough. He told them that the verbal vitriol did not cause the Az. shootings...to quote his ad-lib in his speech: "It did not." ***
I suspect that was a bold and rebellious thing for him to say, given how his minions are still spewing partisan crap against the other side and refusing to apologize for their knee-jerk conclusions. Anyway, I appreciated it. And may I say that most of the GOP voices are saying the same thing, and I appreciate that. If only the Lefties would calm down and quit positioning for political advantage over this, maybe we could move on. I'm not holding my breath, though.