Monday, October 27, 2008

The CaCa Sisterhood

You know, I can't believe I'm posting about this, because I tend to give a wide berth to judging campaign tactics, but reading this piece has really made me sad.



Women finally won the right to vote in 1920, but might have had a decent shot at it years earlier had it not been for....

women.

Yup, we were once own worst enemy, and it's happened all over again.

I'm not going to impune anyone's character, however. I'll stick to saying I think any offenders are just plain wrong about this. Choice means Choice. Choice doesn't mean Your Choice Only. I'll just stick to that. Respect lifts all women.

The reason I mention impuning character is, a cyber-friend of mine, another like-minded political blogger, was the recent victim of an whisper-attack for blogging her opinions as a voter, a citizen, a blog owner. The attack was based upon someone else's displeasure of negative campaigning, which included a perception that my friend was being negative by criticizing the opponent of the candidate she supported. My friend's attacker impuned my friend's character. She literally called her out by saying what she wrote showed bad character.

My friend confided in me because she knew I've been through a bit of this myself. In my case, the irony was that I'd read ad nauseaum about her angst with motherhood and her obvious error in being way too indulgent a parent. But I defended her to others, saying she's young, no one can tell her, she has to learn on her own, she can't help it.

So, it was similar with my friend and who attacked her. I'm glad I was able to be there for her to vent and know someone else understood the urge to cry out, "If they REALLY knew...".

We agreed that the moral here is, feel what comes naturally, but try not to judge. Just react by saying, you're wrong. And leave it at that. Cuz it would be nice if everyone remembered to look at their own Glass House first.

I'll just leave it there and not even get into why it's totally unreasonable to expect any political campaign to be all cotton candy and Rainbow Brite (and that it makes it's *allowable* to think a candidate has poor character)....
********************
That being said, let me get right back into my bad character self here. Joe Biden's kind of hot-headed himself, as The Orlando Sentinel reports.
Click for YouTube video of Interview

The next day, at a rally:

JOE BIDEN: “I know this has been a pretty mean campaign. I was on a television station the other day and doing a satellite feed to a major network in Florida. And the anchor quotes Karl Marx and says in a sense, isn’t Barack Obama Karl Marx? You know, I mean, folks, this stuff you’re hearing — this stuff you’re hearing in this campaign, some of it is pretty ugly and some of the innuendo is pretty ugly.”

Out in the real world, Joe, people are wanting you and your running mate to answer these questions, not act insulted that they were asked, and then write them off as ugly and not worth your breath. Explain why it's not.

Don't just put a jpg of your birth certificate on your fight the smears website, Obama. Let a judge see the real thing and attest publically to it being legit, or ask the Senate for your own resolution, like McCain has for us to believe he's a natural-born citizen.

<-----Jpgs can be Photoshopped. You help yourself immensely by fighting your even more immense stubbornness and just be gracious. Explain and show. Some people are immune to the Kool-aid. We need cold, hard evidence.

That's how I feel. I don't care that there is only 8 days to go and Obama's ahead in all the polls. That's not going to make me stop feeling it or saying it.

No comments: